Private Fostering

Are you looking after someone else’s child? Do you know someone who is? Then you may need to let Milton Keynes Council know.

Private Fostering is when a child under the age of 16 (or 18 if they have a disability) is cared for by someone who is not their parent or a close relative for 28 days or more.

A close relative is a grandparent, sibling, uncle or aunt. The council must make sure that children who are being privately fostered are safe and well cared for.

If your child is being looked after, or is going to be looked after, by someone else or you are caring for someone else’s child you must let Milton Keynes Council know. If you work with children and families and know of a child who is in a private fostering arrangement you have a responsibility to inform the Council.

To inform the Council of a private fostering arrangement or for further information and advice call Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) 9am – 5pm Mon – Thurs and 9am – 4.30pm on Friday by calling 01908 253169 or 01908 253170 or emailing